Wednesday, February 25, 2009

You know what I'd love to do?

I'd love to start a reputable, clean, non-hoardy, non-scarey /gross cat rescue/sanctuary.

I think my purpose in the sheltering world is to be a cat advocate. I feel strongly that that's where my true passion is and where my skills belong. Dogs in the sheltering world are making tremendous strides in their treatment and their euth numbers but cats still suffer terribly from ignorance and mass euthanasias. I think it's somewhere like 75% of cats entering shelters never leave.

I'd have mostly communal living, but cages for cats that don't get along with other cats. I'd mostly pull cats from shelters. I'd spay pregnant females. I'd also like to have spay/neuter clinics for cats only. I'd like to consult with shelters on making their facilities more cat friendly. I would avoid taking owner surrender cats. I would have reasonable adoption fees. I would be available to give out behavior advice. I'd have kitten socialization classes. I would have set population numbers and not go over that. I'd be wise about who could be saved and who couldn't. I would try to save as many older cats as possible with the realization that they are less adoptable.

This is filed in the life-goals section.

No comments:

Post a Comment