Thursday, June 18, 2009

I am a "seeing" learner

Worked on holding the line today. Terry finally came out with her dog and had me stand next to her and then did a nice OLF for me to see, while holding the line.

SO HELPFUL!!

I have it in my mind that the dog should be directly behind the sheep (I think this is a common noob thing) but they don't have to be and I need to be reading the pressure and having my dog hold against the pressure to keep the line straight. It was so helpful to see this.

I worked a few times having Soda hold the line. I had a some issues with me over flanking her to they turned off line but I was pretty proud of myself that I realized that was the problem. :P

I got all over her-hard- for blowing off stops and she was doing better. I am just going to have to keep at it to keep them consistent. Her favorite *favorite* thing is to blow off the stop, go to the head, and turn the sheep around. FUN!

I also did some chore work--including sorting sheep! I have to brag on myself here (and don't laugh at me!) I was able to pull out 3 light Katadhin sheep from about 15 other sheep. I have finally figured out that you don't have to get it 100% the first time--sometimes it's easier to pull out too many and then put away the ones you don't want.

It was a really good, long lesson that was very productive. Soda is really starting to get "pen" work. OH, also I was able to get her out of the pen without having to go in the pen. yay!!

1 comment:

  1. I too am very visual. Sometimes too I think my wiring is a bit wonky, to be honest. But anyway, good for you and Soda! The overflanking thing can be a bugger, hunh?

    ReplyDelete