Thursday, June 4, 2009

Running and Running and Running

Outruns outruns outruns!

We worked on outruns again today. I enjoy working on them because Soda enjoys it. We had her run up the hill today and she was pretty successful. She ran out on the go-by a bit hesitant again but after 2 or so runs was doing pretty well.

We switched it up to the away side and that was a bit of a mess. At first she wouldn't run out at all. She started critter hunting (GRRRR). So, to help her, I left her at the post and walked about 15 feet out and cued her from there. That was successful. She sliced the top off really bad, but I was just glad she ran out so I let it slide. The next time I stood at the post and had her run out, preparing to correct her for slicing in but that didn't work out too well--she didn't really take the correction and just sliced it anyway!

SO then I walked up to the top, where she was slicing so I could push her out. It sort of worked. When she took off she wanted to run wide so she left outside the fence and couldn't get back in. I told her to get in there and she ran straight into the fence and went head over heels over the fence and then came and lifted the sheep! It was pretty hilarious.

I think next week I'm going to lay her down where she is slicing, kick her out, then recue her.

I also talked to Terry about her hesitancy at Llano on the field and she agreed that Soda just needs to get out to more fields.

Good lesson--Soda worked super hard!

1 comment: