Saturday, July 25, 2009

I can see the end

We went to the chicken ranch again this week. This time the plan was to work on driving b/c it was so damn hot out, outruns wouldn't be prudent.

I got Soda out of the car and walked her out to the field and she started critter hunting immediately. Now, this isn't displacement sniffing--she does that too, but it's a lot different. I told her to watch her sheep and she started digging! Then, I went near the sheep and gave her a directional command and .... no dice. She just put her tail up and started hopping around for bugs/critters.

Not cool.

So, I snatched her up, threw her (literally) in the car, shut the doors (don't worry--all the windows were down and the back window was up and it was under a big oak tree) and I sat where she couldn't see me while the next person worked. I was pretty furious.

Then I got her out and MAGIC Soda wanted to work now. Hmph. Big wonder.

No work = mom gets very angry and you have to sit by yourself in the stinky ol' car
Work = mom tells you good girl and you get to sit by mom.

Anyway, she actually worked pretty decent after that--for her.

During this whole thing, I think now I can see the end of progression creeping up. I think, within the next year, or year and half we're going to hit the ends of Soda's ability and I'm going to need a new dog.

I'm not being down on Soda, just realistic. I don't want to make her miserable trying to make her something she's not and I can see that we're pushing her now (not that that's bad) but I know that the point is coming where I can't push her anymore because there's nothing left to push.

For those that have had a dog peter out, how'd you know the end of progression was approaching?

2 comments:

  1. I think you need to look at why she is getting "distracted" and not wanting to work when you get there. She may be at a point where she is learning this is WORK, and not play, and she has to decide that she wants to WORK for you- not for herself. Some dogs hit that in their stride, and some dogs take a little while to suss it out. Perhaps when you get there, tie her out for a while, so she can watch other dogs work, and, if you do get another dog, that will take the pressure off Soda, and you can concentrate on another dog.
    But, I can tell you, that all of our dogs go through this epiphany at some point, and some handle it better than others. Your goal should be to work her and stop her in her work when she is super keen. Do NOT drill her on anything- if all she does is the hard stuff, you suck any enjoyment out of it for her, and you have a sour dog. All it takes to keep it interesting is for you to ask for some hard stuff, interspersed with a bit of fun, just insinctual stuff, like catching sheep who are taking off, or blocking sheep from a gate opening. It keeps the dogs in tune with their inborn instincts, and it takes the pressure off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paige - I've been there my friend. You know most of June's story in general, but I found myself in that same place - thinking we'd approached the point of where we'd gotten about all we could get out of her. It's not a slam on the dog - just think of all Soda has given you so far!

    How did I know? I just... did. Jack Knox confirmed it for me, but I just knew. Just like YOU will... just... know.

    I will say this - if you feel in your gut that you're reaching the dog's full potential don't push quite that far. IMO I'd stop short. Leave her with as much as you can - and you may find that once you have another dog you can go back to her and things will be just a little different.

    I have a lot to say about this but don't want to take up all of your comment section. LOL!

    ReplyDelete