Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Whistles and The Big Field

Last week I started putting whistles on Soda. She likes them and I like blowing them. I have trouble blowing the stop--don't know why. But everything else comes out clear and consistent--thank you 6 years of playing of the flute! 

This Tuesday I went out to the big field to work on outruns. It is next to a chicken farm and the stench is so horrendous that my stomach did flip-flops when the wind changed. Seriously awful. I was super late so my trainer was working with her advanced students and I was in a sub-field working and I hear on the walkie-talkie: "Hey, you still have your sheep? Did they get mixed in with the cows yet?" 

Me: Uhh... Didn't know that was an option, but no. I still have them. 

So, needless to stay we stayed WAY away from the cow pens, lest they get mixed up! 

Soda did alright. I pushed her out on top and she got her panties all in a bunch about the whole thing but I made her keep working anyway and I'll be damned if she wasn't deeper at the top.She did run off once and go in the ditch (critter hunting) and I nearly had a panic attack. I don't know this field/area so I had no idea how deep it was, how far it went or what was in it. But I walked over and called her out and she had that "Oh shit." look on her face when she realized that I was really ready to murder her. Otherwise, it was all okay. She was pretty fast too, even though this was a "weird new field". 

That's pretty much it. Two pretty boring sheep dog lessons. Gonna work on driving some more. Yay. That's like pulling teeth somedays. I just want to go and kick Soda in the butt to make her move. But I don't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment