Sunday, May 17, 2009

Ran in another trial today

We ran in another HRD trial and did well. We got third place, yay! We had a meltdown in the take pen--which is something we've been having trouble with lately. It's kind of weird. I am sure it's something I'm doing wrong and I suspect it has something to do with timing.

Anyway, the rest of the run was really smooth and clean. It's amazing what one month of training will do!

After my class, I was bored and the tests were running and my trainer was going to have a mini-party at her place afterwards so I wanted to stick around. I told Terry that at the next trial I wanted to work set-out. She told me to go work with Chet, who had been doing set out all day. Chet was really nice and coached me through it and let Soda work. That was a lot of fun and a lot of work for Ms. Soda. His dog was spent. He'd been doing it alone all day! He had me get Soda into a pen and sort sheep and I have to say, that is NOT our strong suit. Soda frequently just looks confused at the back of a packed pen. She'll go in perfect and "scrape" the sheep off the fences then push them to the door but if they don't go out she just stands there looking kind of googly eyed. I got her moving a bit today and that was good.

Soda drove the sheep AWAY from me for about 15 feet with very little hesitation! It was towards a strong draw (hay) but the sheep weren't in a hurry to get there. I was really proud of her. That is so huge for my little girl.

Anyway, some non-working pikters:

The Soda Monster:
Photobucket

This is a really cool Aussie. She's working bred and really fine boned. Very nice dog. She's trying to steal some treats, LOL.
Photobucket

This is the world's fastest sheltie:
Photobucket

This is Zula, my trainer's up and comer. I LOVE this dog. Love the way she works. She hates being tied though. It's funny--she just pouts all day.
Photobucket

Bermuda Triangle of Black and White:
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Nice job! The take pen is our Achilles Heel... so I understand :D

    ReplyDelete