Monday, May 18, 2009

Unintended Side Effects

One of the unintended side effects of learning to be a sheepdog is that Soda will now, happily and readily, go under things. Anything. She'll also squeeze through fences. She would never dream of doing this 6 months ago.

I've asked Soda to go under a panel to get sheep; I've had her go through very narrow chutes after sheep; I've had her sit under a trailer because it was cool. All of this has led to a dog that will now happily go under anything to get something.

We were walking outside the my trainer's property during the trial so Soda could potty and get a little exercise and she saw an opening in the fence slipped through the tiniest of holes, for no reason other than it was there. She stopped right away and looked at me like "HEY! That was fuN!" I had to lure her back out because through the fence she was on the property and I didn't want her taking off to "help" with anyone's run.

Anyway, it's just one of those unintended side effects!

1 comment: